Today, PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the statue of Adi Guru Shankaracharya at the Kedarnath Temple.
The statue is situated at the seer’s rebuilt Samadhi in the temple.
PM Modi sat in meditation for a while at the foot of the statue and then took a walk around Kedarpuri to take a look at the reconstruction work that has been going on since 2019.
Before inaugurating the statue, he offered prayers and performed aarti at the Kedarnath temple. He paid his homage to Lord Shiva and prayed at the Kedarnath shrine.
Along with this, he also announced reconstruction projects worth Rs 400 crore at the temple.
Some facts about the Adi Shankaracharya statue are:
- The statue is about 12-feet long and the weight is 35 tonnes.
- The construction of this statue began in 2019.
- The Samadhi of Adi Shankaracharya was rebuilt after it was destroyed in the 2013 Uttarakhand floods.
- The statue is of Lord Shiva.
- The statue is built as a Samadhi of Jagad Guru Adi Shankaracharya who constructed the Kedarnath Temple in the 8th century AD.
- The inauguration was live-streamed at the 12 jyotirlingas, four mutts and monasteries established back in the 8th century, his birthplace and other important temples across India.
For more breaking news, click here.