SpreadIt News | Digital Newspaper

Friday Namaz disruptions in Gurgaon, Ex-MP petitions Supreme Court

The offering of Namaz in open spaces, which includes government-owned lands in Gurgaon, has been stopped by the state government in Gurgaon, which has created a furore in the Muslim population of the region.

A plea petition was filed by an Ex-Rajya Sabha MP Mohammed Adeeb on Thursday, stating that for the past few months, every Namaz offered in the open ground due to a huge crowd of Muslims on every Friday was being disrupted by hatred groups.

Advertisement

Ex-MP Adeeb has requested the top court for action against the Chief Secretary, the Director-General of Police and other Haryana officials who failed to comply with earlier directions given by the top court regarding measures to control and curb violent and communal sentiments that would lead to hate crimes in the region, DGP PK Agarwal and Sanjeev Kaushal, Chief Secretary have also been named for action.

The Supreme Court had given directions in the year 2018 relating to certain measures to be taken by the state government which would prevent hate crimes, mob violence and lynching incidents.

Advertisement

MP Adeeb said on recent months, incidents involving Friday Namaz offered by the Muslim community were disrupted by identifiable hooligans who were in the process of creating an atmosphere of hatred and also prejudice against the Muslim community.

The state machinery was accused of “serious inaction” to prevent horrific incidents against the minority Muslim community.

Advertisement

In the past weeks and months, any Namaz offered on open government lands were facing a lot of slogan-shouting protests from the Right-Wing Hindu groups.

These groups, to instigate the Muslim community, had even spread cow dung on the Namaz site, 30 people were detained in October as the Right-Wing group had disrupted a Friday Namaz, the Right-Wing groups from disrupting Namaz every week even after police have been patrolling the area to maintain law and order.

Advertisement

 

Advertisement

After facing similar issues in 2018, the Hindi and Muslim communities had agreed on 37 open sites where the Namaz could be offered by the Muslim community. However, in the last month, CM Haryana ML Khattar withdrew the deal between both the communities stating that no Muslim Namaz would be tolerated in open spaces. CM Khattar amended his statement that all citizens had a right to pray, but he also issued a warning that any prayers offered in the open should not block the road traffic.

The district administration has strictly said Muslims would not be allowed to offer Namaz at 8 out of the previously agreed 37 sites.

Advertisement